Blog > Australian Immigration

Complete Guide for your 88 days - Updated November 2018

Ultimate guide to completing your 88 days in Australia

417 & 462 Working Holiday Visa Extension Guide

In the article below, you will find all the information you need to know, in order to complete your 88 days visa work in Australia.

This information has been compiled through online sources, government websites and our own personal experiences of running an employment service for WHV holders in Australia.


There are many different industries you can work in to complete your specified work requirement to qualify for your second year visa. Industries differ depending on your visa type. Please find below a full list of eligible industries for both 417 and 462 visas. As well as the specified industry, you must also work in a specified type of work. Please follow the link below for more information.

417 Visa Holders

Approved industries for specified regional work include:

  • Plant and Animal cultivation
  • Fishing and Pearling 
  • Tree Farming and Felling 
  • Mining 
  • Construction 

417 WHV Holders can work for 6 months with the same employer, unless working in Plant and Animal Cultivation which has been extended to 12 months. 

For exact position types, please click here.


462 Visa Holders

Approved industries for specified regional work include:

  • Plant and Animal cultivation
  • Fishing and Pearling
  • Tree Farming and Felling
  • Tourism and Hospitality

462 WHV Holders can work for 6 months with the same employer, unless working in Plant and Animal Cultivation which has been extended to 12 months. 

For exact position types, please click here.

Regional Australia Postcode List

Regional work must be in a valid regional postcode in Australia. Make sure you check the postcode before you start employment. Here is the full list of all the valid regional work postcodes in Australia via the Australia government website.

417 Visa Holders

New South Wales

(most areas except the greater Sydney area, Newcastle, the Central Coast and Wollongong)

2311 to 2312, 2328 to 2411, 2420 to 2490, 2536 to 2551, 2575 to 2594, 2618 to 2739, 2787 to 2899.

Northern Territory

Entire Territory


(most areas except the greater Brisbane area and the Gold Coast)

4124 to 4125, 4133, 4211, 4270 to 4272, 4275, 4280, 4285, 4287, 4307 to 4499, 4510, 4512, 4515 to 4519, 4522 to 4899.


Entire State

South Australia

Entire State


(most areas except the greater Melbourne area)

3139, 3211 to 3334, 3340 to 3424, 3430 to 3649, 3658 to 3749, 3753, 3756, 3758, 3762, 3764, 3778 to 3781, 3783, 3797, 3799, 3810 to 3909, 3921 to 3925, 3945 to 3974, 3979, 3981 to 3996.

Western Australia

(most areas except Perth and surrounding areas)

6041 to 6044, 6055 to 6056, 6069, 6076, 6083 to 6084, 6111, 6121 to 6126, 6200 to 6799.

462 Visa Holders

462 visa holders must complete valid work (defined above) above the Northern Capricorn line. This includes the Northern Territory and northern parts of Western Australia and Queensland.

As of November 2018, 462 visa holders can now complete Plant and Animal Cultivation work in any regional location across Australia, not just above the Northern Capricorn line. 

In addition to this, 462 Visa Holders can now work for up to 12 months with the same employer, as long as the work is within Plant and Animal Cultivation. 


4472, 4478, 4481 to 4482, 4680, 4694 to 4695,4697, 4699 to 4707, 4709 to 4712, 4717, 4720 to 4721, 4723 to 4728, 4730, 4732 to 4733, 4735, 4737 to 4746, 4750 to 4751, 4753 to 4754, 4756 to 4757, 4798 to 4800, 4801 to 4812 , 4814 to 4825, 4828 to 4830, 4849 to 4850, 4852, 4854 to 4856, 4858 to 4861, 4865, 4868 to 4888, 4890 to 4892, 4895.

Western Australia

0872, 6537, 6642, 6646, 6701, 6705, 6707, 6710 to 6714, 6716, 6718, 6720 to 6722, 6725 to 6726, 6728, 6740, 6743, 6751, 6753 to 6754, 6758, 6760, 6762, 6765, 6770.

Northern Territory

Entire Territory

Minimum Pay Rates for Regional Work

Pay rates and conditions vary with industry and may include:

· Wages paid on a weekly basis

· Work paid on an hourly basis

· Piecework paid on a per unit harvested basis

Hourly Rate

If you are working on a Casual basis, the minimum amount you can be paid on an hourly rate as of July 2018 is $23.66 + Superannuation

If you are working on a Full Time/Part Time basis, the minimum amount you can be paid on an hourly rate as of July 2018 is $18.93 + Superannuation

Full time and Part time minimum employment rates are lower, however most employers will engage you on a casual basis. Make sure you confirm with your employer.

If you are engaged on a casual basis, you do not receive sick pay/holiday pay, you have no guaranteed hours and can be terminated immediately.

Piece Rate

Piece rates are set by the employer for the designated task needed completing. You must sign a piece rate contract, agreeing to the price offered by the employer.

Piece rate allows fast/experienced workers to earn more than the minimum hourly rate.

There is no minimum amount an employee must be paid on a daily basis, when working on piece rates. However, the average competent employee must be able to earn 15% higher than the minimum hourly wage. So around $27.20 + Super Per Hour.

It’s very hard to prove what an “average competent worker” can do, but this is decided by the employer. Often it will take inexperienced backpackers a few weeks to get up to speed and become “average competent workers”.

Employees can work as little or as much as they like and get paid per unit. (This means if you work for just 1hour, you can count it as one of your 88 days).

In order to count your weekends as well (7 days), you must be working 35+ hours in a week.

Minimum rates of pay are regulated for all industries, and you can check the correct rates of pay and employment conditions with the Fair Work Ombudsman or call 13 13 94


Superannuation is a form of savings where money is set aside by your employer and invested for your retirement.

Australia has a Superannuation Guarantee scheme, and your employer may be required to pay superannuation deductions on your behalf, depending on the amount you earn.

You can claim a percentage of your superannuation back when you leave Australia.

Further information on superannuation is available from the Australian Tax Office.

Superannuation Information Line: 13 10 20 or at the superannuation home page which is part of the Australian Tax Office website at

How do I calculate my 88 days?

To be eligible for a second working holiday visa, you must complete three ‘calendar’ months or 88 days of specified work in regional Australia while on your first year Working Holiday Visa.

  • You must do 88 days regional work. If you can find full-time work, the 88 days includes your days off.
  • If you are working 35h+ per week you can count your weekends in your 88 days, so 7 days a week instead of 5.
  • If you are working part time hours, you need to count your days individually.
  • When working on an hourly rate, a day is counted when you work a “standard hour day for that industry” (usually 7hours+).
  • When working on Piece Rate, there is no minimum hours needed to work to count a day. This means if you work for just 1 hour, you can count it as one of your 88 days.
  • You do not have to complete your 88 days with just one employer. You can work in separate blocks with one business or multiple businesses.
  • Blocks of work may be in different kinds of specified work.
  • Full-time workers can count sick days only during periods where they were in paid employment and entitled to sick leave or covered by workers compensation scheme. In these situations, supporting evidence must be provided by the employer.
  • Applicants who were prevented from obtaining employment because of injury or seasonal circumstances cannot count any time they were unable to work towards the three-month period. For example, Cyclones interrupting harvest activities.

Here’s a few examples…

Piece Rate Example: Ben works on a fruit orchard picking and packing mangoes. Ben is working on a piecework rate and works five or six days a week for three months. Depending on the weather and ripening of crops he works between five to eight hours each working day. Ben can count all of these days of work towards the three month specified work requirement, which he meets.

Hourly/Salaried Example: Holly works full-time for a construction company in rural Victoria as a builder from 1 December to 26 February, a total of 88 calendar days. Holly works five days a week (Monday to Friday) for this whole period of time and is paid the correct legal wage. Holly has met the three month specified work requirement.

Important Backpacker Facts

  • To get paid properly you need a Tax File Number (TFN), and your employer will require yours. You can get a TFN number here.
  • WHV holders are taxed at 15% from the first dollar earned. You can claim your tax back when you leave Australia.
  • If your employer asks to pay you in cash, please make sure they are following the appropriate tax laws. You should always receive pay slips for the work completed which you may need when applying for your 2nd year.
  • You can get your employer to fill out the ‘Form 1263’ which states you worked for them and stated the work you completed. The Form 1263 is available here. You don’t technically need this form when applying online but if you ever get investigated, or the Australian government requires additional info it is great to have.
  • When applying for your 2nd year visa, you may need to provide your Pay slips. Ensure your employer is sending you these each payroll run.
  • If you want to work within Hospitality, you must complete your RSA (Responsible Service of Alcohol). Find our recommended RSA company here.
  • Apply at the right time — It takes about 3–4 weeks to get the visa processed, given that everything is in the correct order. But recently they have streamlined their application times, and it can be approved in a few days.
  • Ensure that if you’re leaving Australia that you apply in time to receive the visa.
  • If you apply in Australia, you must be in Australia to be granted your visa and vice versa.
  • Once you submit your application, you will be granted a bridging visa. This will continue your first-year visa if it expires before you are granted your second-year visa.
  • It is a requirement of law that all workers are covered by insurance for a workplace injury. This insurance is paid by the employer.
  • Make sure that you are properly instructed in all aspects of the work before you start.
  • Take care as it is your responsibility to follow all health and safety instructions and to report any injury immediately to the employer.

Finding the Right Employer

Extend Oz Service

Once you have signed up and made a profile on the Extend Oz service, you can apply directly via our website for any of the positions we have available. If you are successful, the hiring manager for the role will give you a call and offer you the role. The team at Extend Oz will also be proactively working on your behalf in the background to try and find you a job! So please make sure you have added your contact details to your profile, so we can get in touch with you. This is a completely free service for you and we will try our best to help you find work.

Please sign up here if you haven’t already!

Working Hostels

Working Hostels are accommodation providers that have links with employers in their local areas. They will help you find a job, in exchange for staying at their accommodation.

Some have gained a bad reputation for promising backpackers work, without having any available. This is so the backpacker stays in the hostel and pays them money.

This is not the case with the reputable Working Hostels, but it’s happening across Australia.

Reputable Working Hostels are a very good way of finding and completing your 88 days.

They take away the hassle of finding the work, sourcing your accommodation and using your own transport. 3 of the biggest hassles associated with your 88 days. The hostel will often be full of other backpackers completing their 88 days, so you can share stories and experiences with others, rather than completing the work on your own!

Many backpackers have an amazing time at reputable Working Hostels and often stay on to work for longer, after their days are finished.

Before arriving at the Hostel, make sure you ask the owner a few simple questions:

  1. How much is your accommodation per week?
  2. Do you require a bond?
  3. Do you withhold my passport? (Never give your passport over, use a photocopy).
  4. Do you have positions available in the area?
  5. What position will I be working?
  6. When will the position start? It’s always hard to give an exact date due to the nature of seasonal work and the various variables (weather, crop, etc.) but get the hostel to give you an approximate start date. Some hostels will offer reduced rates until they find you work.
  7. How long will the role be available for? Again, it’s always hard to predict but get an estimate from the hostel.
  8. How much will I be paid? Ensure it’s in line with the minimum rates above.
  9. How will I be paid? Ensure it’s via bank transfer with pay slips provided.

Direct Employers

Another way to complete your 88 days is to find work with a direct employer. This means you do not have to go through a working hostel to find your work, you contact an employer yourself and get offered a job.

This is a great way to find work as the employer does not have to pay any money to outside services to find them a worker for their available positions.

You will have to time your calls to ensure they are in line with the employers’ seasonal requirements.

Do not simply arrive on site and ask for a role. This often annoys employers as you have entered their private land without permission and they often will not have positions available. Make sure you call first and ask for permission.

You do not need your employer to complete a form and “sign off your days”, in order to apply for the 2nd year visa. Some workers have been threatened with this in the past, so do not allow that to happen.

Employers will sometimes ask applicants for their age, height, and weight. It is not illegal for employer to ask for this information if the position requires a certain type of person.

(Banana humping is a good example as you will need to be 6ft+ and able to carry 20–40kgs on your shoulder in 30+ degree heat). If the position does not require a certain body type, we wouldn’t recommend engaging with that employer (hospitality roles are a good example).


When approaching an employer directly for work, make sure you ask the following questions:

  1. What is the name of your company?
  2. What type of work do you have available?
  3. Do I need to have any specific experience?
  4. How will I be engaged? (Casual, Full Time, Part Time)
  5. When can I start?
  6. How long can I work for?
  7. Average hours per day?
  8. Average days per week?
  9. What’s the pay rate? (Hourly Rate/ Piece Rate)
  10. How will I be paid? (Via bank transfer with pay slips)
  11. What does your average worker earn in a day?
  12. When will we sign contracts?
  13. What’s your company’s ABN (Australian business number. You can then check this online at to ensure they are legitimate.
  14. Do you have a website?
  15. Is your company located in a designated regional postcode?
  16. Can I speak to any of your previous employees for a reference?
  17. Do you have accommodation on site?


You will need to sell your skills to your employer, so make sure you let them know about any relative work you’ve completed in your life, your availability, references and your transport options. Try to avoid constant reference to completing your 88 days. Employers are looking for reliable employees, so you will need to show commitment to your position and embrace the Regional Australian Experience!


Do I need my own transport


Buy/rent your own transport

The easiest way to complete your 88 days is to have your own transport available. This is because you can easily access regional areas of Australia, without relying on infrequent and expensive public transport.

Employers often prefer applicants who have their own transport as they can easily move around the work site and the employer does not have to offer pickup services from local towns or hostels.

You can also team up with other travellers to share costs of the car and fuel. When you have your own transport, you are much more likely to find a job with an employer directly, not through a Working Hostel. This means you do not have to rely on hostel owners to find you a job.

If you get a campervan, you can also save money on accommodation, which is often hard to find in regional Australia! When you are finished with your transport, you can often sell it to another backpacker for them to use.

No license or don’t want to get a car?

If you have no licence or do not have a car, you are much more likely to use the services of Working Hostels. This is because Working Hostels can provide you with transport to and from the work site.

Although you will still be able to gain work with Direct Employers, you will need to be able to ensure you can arrive on time each working day and have your reliable transport options planned ahead of time.

Where can I get a car?


Facebook pages, Gumtree, Facebook Marketplace, Car dealerships.


Wicked CampersJuicy CampersBritzMighty CampersBackpacker Car RentalsRent a Bomb


Good luck with completing your 88 days in Australia!

We hope you found this article of use.


Extend Oz Team